I started working on the project today using some VJ Sofware called Resolume which allows for comprehensive realtime effects changes etc. using MIDI and received audio signals. Parameters of effects such as blurring (which I have used in this project) can be determined by the frequency range of the received audio signal which means one can get some very nice results quite quickly.
I started by using details of photographs which I’d scanned from a book of old Oxford photographs. The published images are not so great so the details are even less so, but nevertheless this added somewhat to the progression of the work.
What I couldn’t help but see when I was working on the piece, using all manner of synths to make the desired noise (which I haven’t quite achieved as yet) was how the photographs when manipulated in this way became x-ray photographs of internal organs which, given the title of the projects seemed very apt.
The following photographs are the three main images I used:
Taken in what is now South Park in 1903
Taken in Queen Street c1900
Taken in St. Clements c1910
The following are stills created using synthesizers (my old Roland XP60 as well as Reaktor and Absytnth) and Resolume.
For me, the image looked like a heart and when I manipualted the video using a basic bass drum pattern, it really worked. Below is a video file showing a part of the work – unfortunately without the sound.